The Society for Social Work and Research was founded in 1994 as a free-standing organization dedicated to the advancement of social work research. SSWR works collaboratively with a number of other organizations that are committed to improving support for research among social workers. Our members include faculty in schools of social work and other professional schools, research staff in public and private agencies, and masters/doctoral students.
SSWR’s more than 1300 members come from 45 states in the United States as well as from Australia, Canada, Cyprus, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Israel, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Trinidad and the United Kingdom.
SSWR’s members represent more than 200 universities and institutions.
Society for Social Work and Research Strategic Plan (f0r PDF click here)
The Society for Social Work and Research advances, disseminates, and translates research that addresses issues of social work practice and policy and promotes a diverse, just, and equitable society.
- encourages the design, implementation and dissemination of rigorous research that enhances knowledge about critical social work practice and social policy problems and advances social welfare practices and programs;
- fosters a trans-disciplinary inter-professional support network of investigators conducting research on social work practice and social policy in the United States and around the world;
- provides learning opportunities to improve the conduct of social work-relevant research and its application;
- promotes practices and policies grounded in an evidence-base;
- supports increased research funding and training programs for social work researchers;
- provides formal recognition of significant contributions to social work-relevant research; and
- seeks active partnerships with other social work and research-related organizations to accomplish all of the above.
- Free electronic subscription to the Journal of the Society for Social Work and Research (JSSWR) available on the SSWR website
- Reduced registration fee at the SSWR Annual Conference
- SSWR annual electronic member newsletter
- Reduced subscription rate to Research on Social Work Practice (RSWP). To view discounted rates and how to subscribe, please go to https://secured.sagepub.com/rswp.html.
- Reduced subscription rate to Social Service Review (SSR). To view discounted rates and how to subscribe, please go to http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/order/ssr.
- Reduced subscription rate (30%) to the journal Qualitative Social Work (QSW). Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and mention your SSWR membership. For more information visit the QSW website at www.sagepub.co.uk/qsw.
- Inclusion in the SSWR online membership directory
- Advocacy for social work research
- National Research Capacity Building Initiative
- SSWR Listserv that delivers up-to-date announcements regarding social work research
- Job Posting service to link researchers and scholars with employers with available positions
- Access to the Doctoral Student Center available on the SSWR website